Monday, June 30, 2008






Wednesday, June 25

On Wednesday we got to attend Sheba’s baby shower! Well, they don’t call it a “baby shower.” Stephen said that the Tamil words used translate as, “putting on the bangles” (it makes sense, trust me). On the ride there we rode with two of the nuns from my school, and Stephen’s priest. The talk was mostly mangos. When we arrived, we were greeted by Stephen’s mother who was glowing for the occasion. In the first room of the house was an epic spread of fresh foods (and Stephen had said that this was going to be a small meal). We made small talk while the rest of the guests arrived, and Stephen put Lucy and me in charge of the camera. At one point Stephens father beckoned me outside. I had assumed that it was to take a picture of something, but he led me on to the neighbors’ roof, where a stage and rows of chairs had been set up. I didn’t expect this. The priest, the nuns, Lucy and I were all seated in the front row. Next some close members of Sheba’s family began lighting candles and oil lamps. Lucy was very excited when she was asked to join in. After a blessing from the priest, the putting on of the bangles began. From what I remember each female guest was asked to come up and place some makeup on Sheba’s face and hands, swish a bowl of holly water around Sheba, and then place two bangles on each wrist. Lucy was one of the first who was asked to do this. After the first row was finished we were taken back down to Stephens house and fed a fantastic dinner on banana leaves. No silverware was allowed because it would puncture the leaf. Sheba came down after dinner covered in bangles and with make-up globed on her face. Lucy and I wanted to say good night to Stephens infant nephew, and then it was back to the guest house after the most authentic night of our trip. We cannot thank Stephen and Sheba enough for asking us to participate in this special occasion.

Dalton

No comments: