Saturday, June 7, 2008



Friday June 6

Like Sarah, I am having trouble finding the right words to describe the three weeks I have been here. My parents have me an empty journal to write in before I left, and I haven’t been able to write in it at all since I left Germany on May 16th. After I leave Chennai I am on my way to Paris, and I have no doubt that I will find something to write about while I’m there. I think India is just the kind of place that you have to experience. When people tell you that it’s hot, there are going to be a lot more people, that this is the journey of a lifetime, it sounds like something you might take with a grain of salt. The food, smells, sounds and sights may have been some things that I would have expected, but I never thought I would meet so many amazing people here. Everyone was so vibrant and intelligent and seemed genuinely excited to have us here, even though many volunteers have been here before.

I know that Keith will be shocked to hear that Sarah and I did not cry when we left Assisi Illam this afternoon. I am a little surprised myself, but no doubt if we had stayed another two minutes we would have. I think we didn’t cry because we both knew it really wasn’t goodbye, since how could anyone come here and be with these kids and not come back? Every single one of them will be in my heart forever. Sarah and I have fallen asleep countless nights wondering aloud what each child will grow up to be, and re-living every adorable moment we spent with them.

Obviously none of these incredibly memorable experiences would ever have happened without Global Volunteers, the staff at Assisi Illam and Seam’s Children’s Home, Keith, Sarah, Sheeba and of course Stephen. I wish I could give them all what they have given me, but all I can do is say thank you. I doubt I will ever look at life the same again. This place has opened my eyes and there is no way they will ever close.

Chantal

No comments: