Thursday, June 5, 2008



Thursday June 5

This being my final journal entry, I am finding it near impossible to write. It is incredibly difficult to find the right words to describe my past three weeks in Chennai. As cliché as it may sound, it is indescribable. When I landed at the airport on May 16th, I had no idea what to expect. I have traveled before, but never past Europe. Also, as odd as it may sound, I didn’t really look up any photos of India or Chennai before I decided to come here or after I had made my decision. So when I say that I had no idea, I mean NO idea! When I walked out the arrivals gate at the airport, I found a mob of people waiting for loved ones and was absolutely terrified. I tried to hide it, but the drive from the airport to the guest house made me even more nervous. While making conversation, I was thinking, “What are you doing here Sarah? You can’t handle this!” But now, as my journey is coming to an end and I find myself headed for the departure gates, I know that I was wrong. I did handle this. And having had this experience I feel that I can go into most situations with much more confidence than I otherwise would have. My experience here has left me feeling empowered. And for that I am truly grateful to Global Volunteers.

Another thing that I have learned from this trip is how easy it is to fall in love with children. The children here are incredible and I will forever remember each of them. I will never forget Radhika’s smile, Isaac’s laugh or the way that John says “Ma”. I will never forget their little outstretched arms. Saying my goodbyes to these kids has been beyond difficult.

I have also gained a new understanding of the diversity of the human experience. Studying political science at McGill University in Montreal Quebec, I spend much of my time learning about people, issues and events around the world. However, my three weeks here in Chennai have taught me more about the world than two years of post secondary education. (No offense to McGill. It is impossible to learn from a book the things that I have learned from being here). There is another very important lesson that goes along with my newfound understanding of diversity. This is also something that could not possibly be learned from reading a book or looking at a picture. I have found that, despite our differences, people are basically the same. I see my own family and friends in the people that I have met here. The opportunity to meet these people is a priceless one. It is important to respect diversity but also to remember that people are people. Toronto Canada or Chennai India, people are people.

I would again like to thank Global Volunteers for giving me the opportunity to learn these lessons about the world and about myself. And especially to Stephen and Sheeba for making this trip what it has been. And Chantal, with whom I have found what I hope will be a lasting friendship. I will truly miss this place.

Sarah

No comments: