Monday, January 5, 2009

21 December 2008




Sunday, December 21, 2008

I woke up today at the Lotus Hotel in Pondicherry – soon the music and sounds from the streets below reached my ears. After breakfast, we took a short ride to Sri Awiobindo Ashram. I was amazed by the peace and serenity I felt enveloping me as soon as I entered the doors. Complete silence. Beautiful plants and flowers. The noise of the world outside the Ashram melted away. Everyone was either walking around in silence or meditating.
From the Ashram we drove to Auroville. Forty years ago this community began; since then, the members have reforested 2,000 acres of land where hardly a tree grew before. They have created a school and health care system among many other things. In a leaflet I read, their goal is “to be a place where human relationships, which are normally based almost exclusively on competition and strife, would be replaced by relationships of emulation in doing well, of collaboration and real brother (sister) hood.” It was an inspiration to be there and to learn about what they have created. One of their core beliefs is in human unity.
As we drove on throughout the day to visit different sites we passed through many small villages. We had lunch at a seaside resort in Mamallopuram and of course, some of us snuck off down the street to do some shopping. Then we visited the temple nearby on the beach and later 2 others. Sorry, Stephen, I don’t remember their names as I write this, but the wealth of your knowledge about every site we visited and the countless number of stories you told us is incredible.
The only downside of a terrific weekend came during the moments I thought of the children I have had the pleasure to know – even briefly – this past week. How were they spending the weekend?
Beyond a doubt this past weekend has increased my understanding of Tamil Culture. I also thought it was a terrific experience for the team (minus Joelle) to share together.
I found this quote accidentally in my bag a few days ago:
“Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieve through understanding.”
It reminds me of the GV’s “slogan” – Wage Peace and Promote Justice.

Miriam

No comments: