Monday, January 5, 2009

19 December 2008




Friday, December 19, 2008

Anonymous Quote:

“The measure of a truly great person is the courtesy with which they treat a less fortunate person.”

India – close to my heart. The warmth in the air – the friendly people – the hustle and bustle of everyday life to make ends meet – the colorful fabric – the open markets – the curiosity in the children’s faces remind me of my native land Haiti – thus fill in a small space in my heart from the nostalgic that I sometimes feel living abroad.
Today has been a rewarding day for me in many aspects – Pretit – a name which fits her just right – such precious little girl whom I have noticed the minute I stepped in Assisi Children’s Home – so shy and withdrawn – a painful reminder of that little girl inside of me so many years ago forced to live in a strange and cold environment. Today we constructed a tower together again and played patty cake. I looked into her beautiful wide brown eyes. I find myself wondering, what is she thinking? Is she crying inside? What would she say to me if she could? Will this caterpillar get to develop into the beautiful butterfly which she deserves to become? Only time will tell. But today Pretit and I had a beautiful connection – she puts her arm in the air for me to hold her for the first time – I picked her up and we actually held each other for awhile.
Another rewarding event is that under the instructional leadership of Joelle, Cynthia, Miriam, Sister Carolyn and I crafted a masterpiece of a crèche for the children’s holiday performance. It was great to see the camaraderie while the rest of our group worked together on the colorful gold and silver angle wings for the common goal of doing our part to make the day a special one for the children. The whole performance was spectacular – it was so heartwarming to see the children dressed up in their Sunday’s best and just enjoying themselves.
I am filled with gratitude to be a part of their little world even for a short amount of time – their faces will forever be imprinted in my memory.

Nicky

No comments: