Monday, January 5, 2009

23 December 2008





Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I started this second week at St. Joseph Catholic School where the students have been taking their midterm exams for the past few days. I am grateful to Sister Erokiya Mari for allowing me to spend time with the upper kindergarten class assisting a couple teachers administering their exams.
Having been in Catholic School throughout my educational life, the whole environment brought back some childhood memories seeing the tiniest student dressed up so formally in their school uniform is heartwarming. I was the attraction for the day where many of the older children came and introduced themselves to me – One of the students even guessed that I came from the West Indies which is exactly the location of Haiti.
Ms. Mutsy shared with me the curriculum content they’re using for the following subjects: English, Science and Math – all in one book. I was so surprised to see such an advanced curriculum for 4 & 5 year old kindergarten students….and what they must master or memorize in both Tamil and English by the end of the school year. More than have of them passed their oral exam with flying colors. I have forgotten to mention that this class has 48 students. From a professional experience I know how challenging to reach every student’s needs even in a classroom of 20 students since many have a variety of learning styles.
I have great respect for these teachers who have to work in this condition with barely any materials and must improvise at all times.
In the afternoon we went back for a spectacular holiday performance by the students of St. Joseph’s Catholic School where we were treated as V.I.P.’s.
In the evening, many of us in the group went holiday shopping for the kids at SEAMS and packed for them a gift bag to take home. I just can’t wait to see the excitement in their faces tomorrow.
It’s just been an unforgettable experience and a new found appreciation for everything I have in life.

Nicky

No comments: