Monday, January 5, 2009

20 December 2008




Saturday, December 20, 2008

“Don’t tell me about your education, tell me about how far you’ve traveled.”


I didn’t have a quote and came across the above in a book I’m reading – it seemed apt. Travel is such a broadening experience – especially if you let yourself be immersed in another culture. I feel fortunate to be able to experience India not only as a “tourist.” I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to share and process the experience with our group. And I feel fortunate for the generosity, wealth of knowledge and insights of our Global Volunteers host – Stephen.
Today was very special for me. As someone who has practiced yoga and meditation for many years, to finally see, with my own eyes, some of the temples of Southern India and to see the people on pilgrimage was something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. The experience surpassed my expectations.
With Stephen’s wealth of information I learned much about the temples of Kanchipuram. My favorite was the temple of the Mango tree with its many splendors and the fact that as a place on the historic register, non-Hindus are allowed inside. Earlier at the Kamashi Amma temple – many of us got to experience an elephant ride. As usual – we all took photos galore.
What made it all extra-special – was our first extended down-time as a team. All of us found ourselves thinking about the SEAMs children – which tells me that the program is doing what it should – not just improve the lives of others, but also make each of us more conscious participants in our global network….so that we carry on after we leave the program by sharing our experiences and finding new ways to make a difference.
Speaking of global networks: a personal high point for me as having Harshal figure out why my cell phone hasn’t been working! Yea! I’m connected again.
Stephen was patient, as usual, in indulging our desires to take home tokens of our India experience (i.e. – shop). And we got to learn about some of the little details about each other (worst jobs ever) over dinner.
All in all – a long and very satisfying day.

Enid

No comments: