Monday, January 5, 2009

25 December 2008




Thursday, December 25, 2008

“If I am not for myself,
Who will be for me?
If I am not for others,
What am I?
And if not now when?
Rabbi Hillel

The morning and early afternoon were devoted to the first part of this quote. I decided after I woke up I needed to nurture myself. I spent the morning back at the guest house as the rest of the team went off to the baptism of Stephen’s son. It was so different to sit on my bed room floor where I do my writing; the house was completely empty and quiet.
After the group returned and took a short break, some of us went to the hospital to have lunch with Dr. Sr. Rexline. The children from Assisi were ether playing in the grassy area. As usual they were happy to see us. We made a short visit to Sister Rose who has been in the hospital most of the time we’ve been here. Then the kids piled in one van and the adults into another to head to Assisi. I enjoyed seeing the kids. I feel I now know a bit, as well as my new school age friends. After playing awhile, Santa (Harshal) and his helper (Joelle) passed out gifts to all the children. We ended the day with a lovely meal at Stephen’s family house. Their smiles and generosity was enormous. I think it’s safe to say, we were touched by their amazing spirit.
My personal goal when I set one of this trip was to give back to the children of India in thanks for all my daughters have given me. I know I have given a tiny bit, but it seems so small in comparison to what the children at Assisi and SEAMs have shared with me.

Miriam

No comments: