Monday, January 5, 2009

30 December 2008




Tuesday, December 30, 2008

“I think that travel comes from some deep urge to see the
world, like the urge that brings up a worm in an Irish bog to see the
moon when it is full.”
Lord Dunsan

How rare, how lucky, we truly are to have had this opportunity to see the world to enjoy the moon, crescent as it hung over us tonight. I was struck this evening - how this moon is the same that shines upon my family, my friends back home and this land so distant and so different from my own.
When I came to India this time my bags were crammed full of toys and clothes for the children, art supplies and learning materials, and even a few “comfort” items to give me a sense of home while here. I also have to admit I shoved inside my suitcase a set of expectations…..even a hefty “to do” list that I could never accomplish during my three week stay. That is OK. Really, I’m fine with that…..I have learned long ago it is best to leave some things undone when you visit a place so there is a greater reason to return in the future. But in packing those expectations there is always, always room for disappointments too. On this trip I had to deal with some loneliness….some sadness…..some misunderstandings….and although difficult, that is OK too. I believe it is how we grow. But my overall goal has been undaunted. It was to return here to the children I love and continue loving them. And so I did.
My greatest joy comes simply from hugging and holding the children…..or just sitting back and watching them play. It is seeing the anticipation build as I set-up a painting studio and find, well, the children of Assisi make great Abstract Expressionist painters. It is the joy I find from watching John crawl under the furniture to retrieve and eat that one last bean that escaped from another child’s plate. It is the joy I feel when I see children go to Harshal and Cynthia with books to read or solve math problems together – their desire to learn is great. It is joy that comes with dance, with singing, with games and outings. Now that my suitcase is considerably lighter – I wish I could pack these children up and take them with me back to the States. I just might have a bit of trouble clearing customs. But once home, I will think of the moon and remember it shines on them as it shines on me. I will think ahead of new adventures to come. This urge to travel and know the world will follow me and the moon will be my companion.

No comments: