Wednesday, May 28, 2008



Wednesday May 21

I don’t know if I can fully explain the smile and laughter that emanates from my face when I walk into St Josephs and 25 little kids run up to me to say good morning while saluting me with their right hands pressed to their foreheads. As hot as it is, and apparently we are here in the depths of their hot season, and despite the consistent, albeit brief blackouts, it is clearly a meaningful endeavor we are engaged in.

As neither a teacher nor a parent, I am kind of feeling my way through this, as I basically have anywhere from 5-40 kids in my face at all times, though I have been trying to keep it on the smaller side, which I think will allow better interaction. I have been teaching the older kids (8-12) how to use the computer, simple functions like emailing and painting. I haven’t come across anyone with any natural artistic talent yet, but one girl seemed to show some promise on the chalkboard, so tomorrow we will see what she can do on the computer. I have also been playing a geography game with them when they are not using the computer, and also have been teaching the younger ones the ABCs and 123s.

“100 years from now, it will not matter how much money you had in the bank or how big your house was, but whether you made a difference in a child’s life”.

Keith

No comments: