Wednesday, May 28, 2008


Sunday May 25

Today was our last day in Pondicherry, and we enjoyed a nice breakfast at the Lotus hotel before we took off. We drove for about an hour and a haft before arriving at Mamallapuram, where the ancient stone carvings are. I don’t think any of us were expecting them to be so huge! They were several stories high and impossibly long, and most of them carved out of a single rock. Sarah and I share a delight for elephants, and were happy to see that they were very prominent in the carvings.

After walking around taking pictures for a while, we went over to a sea-side restaurant for lunch and a walk on the beach. It felt so nice to dip our feet in the water! The rest of the day was spent traveling to various temples in the area and taking a look. They were awe-inspiring. All were too high to see the top, and beautifully ornate. Sarah and I were treated once again by more amazing elephants! She was adventurous enough to climb up one for a picture, while I was content with handing the other coins for a blessing.

The weekend was a total success for me, and I’m sure the others would agree. This volunteer vacation is turning out to be so much more than I expected.

Chantal

No comments: