Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tuesday February 12

Linda Shepard

The morning began with the now familiar wake-up sounds of the anil, crows, and motorcycles. Then it was upstairs to read The Hindu and to eat breakfast with the team.
Every day it gets hotter. Today may reach up to 89 F. Also, it is very humid.
School at St Josephs is more fun and interesting every day as I become used to and enjoy the constant chirping, laughing, and reciting of 40 plus little 3 year old voices. The children have become individuals to me now. Today I wrote in their English workbooks and helped many of them write their letters. The delight they show when they accomplish writing the alphabet goes straight to my heart.
One older 5th standard boy came in at lunch to visit his little brother and asked me a different question: “Miss, how do you like this India?” I answered very positively, and he beamed. These children all know how to beam, to glow with joy.
SEAMS was particularly poignant this evening because one boy asked me where we were on Monday, as yesterday we went instead to the Bharatanatyam (classical dance) instead. His question and his look made me think again that we will have to leave them very soon.
Finally, Rosanna and I have realized that we have begun, in the Indian way, to bobble our heads back and forth, up and down, while we listen to people speaking.

Thought for the Day: When in India, do as the Indians do.

No comments: