Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tuesday Feb. 19.2008

Helen Mulcrow

I wonder are we in an alien country or are we all aliens? No matter which way you look at it, this is a tough experience, but as each day draws to a close the culture shock lessens and we are all finding our way together.

Today, I managed to squat for hours whilst painting, I hope it will stand me in good stead for my first encounter with a true Indian toilet. Margery saw monkeys when she was hanging out her washing but thankfully it wasn’t a sign of things to come, her class this afternoon behaved like angels. The babies love Birgit now, maybe because she mopped the floor. Peter sustained serious blood loss after a mosquito attack in the bushes but he survived and came back armed with repellant in the afternoon. Larry taught us a magic trick with a mop. Little George walked for Anne but she thought she might die when she had to eat ‘wood’ for lunch. Jennifer is finding little to do at the hospital but managed not to infect the patients with her cold. Rae felt great when her kindergarteners read from the book and learned what a groundnut is. And Eula just knows she’s going to get peed on one of these days!

The perceived challenges we have formed over months of anticipation are becoming a reality, however, as we face each one comes a great sense of achievement. Team 63 made it through another day and who knows what joys the next will bring us.

Quote for the Day:

India is no place to say “I know exactly what I want to do” – something always intervenes and mocks that resolution. I traveled light, but still the greater part of my baggage was mental – my mind brought England along with me, and saw it shattered, sometimes in awe and sometimes with dismay!

Brian Thompson from Great Train Journeys of the World

No comments: