Monday, February 4, 2008

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Roma A. Wilson

Here we are closing in on the end of the first week for our team . Some nights it is easy to sleep soundly. Sleep time in the early hours of this morning, however, was disrupted by a prolonged dog fight. Then, outside my window, a weird, high pitched yowling commenced which had the quality of blood curdling. Maybe the “hound of the Baskervilles” had returned on the reincarnation route! Not to be outdone, I banged on the window bars and yelled several Aussie expletives! Obviously the miscreant was not a racist and understood the language perfectly by giving a grunt and lapsing into silence after the third yowl.

The 8:30 a.m. breakfast treat was Dose (nice and black, gram) resembling a French crepe expertly rolled into submission by Stephen and flavored by coconut chutney. My second one tasted quite different by the addition of strawberry jam. Variety is the spice of life!

Our expert driver Stephen delivered us on time to our respective work locations. Margaret and Linda enjoy discussing their daily efforts assisting the students at St. Joseph’s School. They are obviously gaining ground and feeling more at ease with their respective roles.

Ruth continues to lead her religious students along the road to a better understanding of their vocation and reactions in general. Rosanna looked very chic in her daughter’s Kappa Delta sorority t-shirt and cap. Her day at Assisi Illam went with a swing and a song, the main exception being an ailing Sophia.

My day at St. Thomas Hospital was full of interest, and hopefully of benefit to those with whom I spent time. Dr. Sr. Rexline requests my assistance talking to the relatives about their in-patient and helping reassure them. This can be a little difficult with the language barrier, but nursing staff are very helpful. I am revising a lot of nursing procedures. However, the nurses are disappointed if I do not remember their names. Heaven help my shrinking neurons!

On visiting the Child Care Center I was surprised to see Sister Matilda carrying Sophia up the stairs. This quiet, feverish child was in marked contrast to the energetic bundle of mischief seen at Assisi. She was happy to be carried around and wave goodbye to people in an auto rickshaw. Then Sister Matilda waited for her to be admitted.

Stephenraj discussed the evening plans after lunch. So we went to spend an hour with the children at SEAM orphanage at 5:30 p.m. The highlight was the distribution of toothbrushes by Stephen after the lessons. Hopefully this will keep the dentist at bay.

By 6:30 p.m. we were on our way into Chennai at a great rate. The Chennai Silks store captured our sari longings with an incredible range of textiles under high security. Sheeba guided Ruth along the decision trail and Stephenraj helped me on Floor 3.

Late dinner, 9 p.m. gave us strength to survive till morning.

Thought for the day: “Sail through calm or storms with a fearless heart”----anonymous

No comments: