Monday, February 11, 2008

Thursday Feb 7, 2008

Linda Shepard

Breakfast this morning was enlivened when Stephen conducted his review at the half-way mark of our volunteer period. There was an energetic discussion of team spirit or lack thereof. It is apparent to me that we are indeed a team of free spirits, a caring bunch over all, and that we have much more in common than not.
The day at St Josephs began with a serious talk with Sister Imelda about the deaths of children of the past years. It is clear that she is devoted to the well-being of each child. Then it was off to the lower kindergarten for me, where in 4 hours I wrote in exercise books. I drew 900 little trees, 500 stars, and more than that of apples, balls, and so on. The teacher must construct her own maths workbook. It was laborious being a human Xerox machine, but the task was relieved by the constant little voices of the children calling “Miss! Miss!” I must tie 30 shoes every day. Sometimes I have seen them untie their shoes and then call out “Miss!” They make me laugh.
SEAMS was as sweet and touching as ever, even more so because I danced with several little ones, and sat with
Ruby, Svati, and Venita when Stephen passed out their favorite pastries, egg puffs.

Thought for the day: “One for all, all for one.” -- Cyrano de Bergerac

No comments: