Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Margaret Andrews

We started the day at the Lotus Hotel in Pondicherry. About 8:00, Rosanna and I walked along the waterfront to Le Café for coffee and croissants. She told the others of the sea breezes and good coffee available there, so we all ended up having our breakfast there, rather than at the hotel.

After breakfast, we went our separate ways – they to complete their tour, I to find an internet centre that was open on Sunday. (It took much walking and many inquiries to locate one.)

I asked the hotel to fix a packed lunch for me, checked out, and caught a bus to Chennai.(The fare was half what it had been going, but the bus arrived in less time – just one of those Indian mysteries.)

As I watched the rural scenery stream by – thatched huts nestled amongst palm, banana and casuarinas trees – I wondered if people there, in what seemed to me a peaceful world, were happier than those in the frenetic city. Was poverty the over-riding reality? I shifted mental gears to the more mundane – would role playing work at St Joseph’s? for what standards? Perhaps we should work on pronouncing “Ws”.

After an auto rickshaw ride with many stops for directions, I arrived “home”. Now after a shower and part of the last bottle of beer, I am feeling content.

Thought for the day: Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Howard Thurman

No comments: