Monday, July 7, 2008




Wednesday, June 2nd – Arun Sastry

We seem to be very well settled into a routine now. I get up at 07:30, get ready and then wake up the other girls. Rani has figured out how I like my coffee, so as soon as she sees my face in the morning, she gets me a cup, just the way I like it!

The day at Grace Elementary School was better than it was yesterday. I had taken some coloring material today, so the younger kids (and therefore I) were much happier. I used their textbooks today for guidance on what to teach, and that made the session much more useful for them as well. Looking at the kids, I was saddened to think of the fact that I’d have to leave these happy children and head home soon.

SEAM, as always, evokes a different set of emotions. It’s amazing how the kids work, play, cook and sleep within the compound, and how they all get along so well together. Today, the kids all welcomed us wearing the clothes that Leslie had donated yesterday. As always, I spent time with the oldest of the kids (Rajesh, Suresh, and Suganya), going over English grammar. Rajesh looked a little tired, but in spite of that, he showed his usual enthusiasm in the subject matter at hand. I guess these kids get up early, and do a lot of chores in addition to their school work, and in this stifling heat, it is amazing that they don’t collapse by the time we show up. It’s sad to see the kids at times, but on the other hand, I think that these kids are relatively more privileged (compared to other kids around here), since they not only have people like us to help wherever possible, but also they also have a good shelter, food, and place to play.

After SEAM, we went to Stephen’s home and met with his family. We were treated to the most delightful feast. Soon after dinner, we lost power (good timing!). It was hot, so we all went outside and we all joined the community block party. Just imagine – a huge chat session with several neighbors, all in darkness! That is what India is all about!!!

No comments: