Monday, July 7, 2008




Tuesday July 1st, 2008 - Sonali Sastry

Quote: If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children

As I walked to the car feeling queasy, lightheaded and tired, my thoughts were that my body was failing me on the thought of volunteering again. However, a strange thing happened as I started working with the 1st group of kids at Assisi Illam. My problems were gone and I was excited to work with the young ones.

At lunch, I came and enjoyed a delicious meal which I relished. With a smile on my face, Stephen (Stephen’s brother) drove me to Bethlamite Sister where I was ready to teach the novices some English grammar. Being younger than the four girls is a bit hard for me, however I was hoping that they didn’t think I was 23 or 24. After what seemed like a long grammar lesson, the girls insisted on me staying for 5 minutes to enjoy a snack they themselves had prepared. Finally I decided to go with Stephen to pick up my dad at the Grace school.

While I was there, I encountered many eager and curious kids waiting to greet me while I laughed enjoying the sight. Afterwards, we rested and headed off to a store followed by Seam. At Seam, four bags of toys, clothes and other things for the kids were brought out and laid out in multiple lines. The expressions on the kids’ faces were priceless. The joy, happiness and laughter definitely made my day. I enjoyed talking to each kid, playing jump rope and seeing the older boy on the pink cell phone. So far, I have enjoyed volunteering and love all the people I am working with. I only wish I could stay longer but right now I’m just hoping I can do the most I can for the children and the novices.

No comments: