Monday, July 7, 2008




Thursday July 3, 2008 - Sonali Sastry

Quote: It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the quantity

Preparing for the novices and kids tired me out last night but it has definitely paid off. As the week comes to an end, I find that my time in Chennai was too short. The day started out at Assisi Illam where a new group of kids were at the gate waiting to greet me. I was told that I would be teaching four kids math and English. It was a new experience and I was amazed at how much energy the kids had towards learning.

At lunch, Stephen, my dad and I went home and enjoyed, once again, an amazing lunch Rani had prepared. After lunch, I prepared even more for the novices. As usual, upon my arrival, the girls all were there waiting to greet me. As we started the lesson, I was so happy on how much they have learned in this extremely short week. We had a discussion on the differences between America and India and it has definitely helped me to realize how much I take for granted.

At Seam, as the balloons were introduced to the kids, they went crazy. And to add to it all, it started raining and we were all forced inside into the main hall. Unfortunately, one boy went around popping the innocent kids’ balloons which caused chaos, tears and laughter at the same time. Today, I spent more time with the older kids, which was a different experience and it was an enjoyable one. I am really going to miss the children at Seam and wish I could be there for just one more week.

Even though we were only here for one week, I feel like I have gotten to know the whole team very well. It was definitely a good experience and I’m hoping to come back to Chennai and volunteer some more.

No comments: