Thursday, January 10, 2008

Global Volunteers India - IND0801a1

Day 4 January 9th, 2008 by Christine Hodson

Started the day with a delicious breakfast of ricecakes and peanut sauce, hard-boiled eggs, toast and various fruits. Rick’s journal entry and thought for the day was well done. Elyse is feeling better. Ruth is so so but she is a trooper and is continuing with her assignment. She is very dedicated.
Our morning routine is well established by now and going off to our assignments is smooth.
I am at St. Thomas Hospital where I am able to share my experience in psychiatric nursing with their nursing students. They are also encouraged to practice English and medical technology. We meet for approximately 1 – 11/2 hours daily after which I seek out my own experiences in the hospital.
The supplies for the hospital donated by the volunteers were much appreciated by Sister Rexelin when I brought them to her today. She is a wonderful and terrific person who started the hospital and still runs it. Despite being very busy, she makes time for everybody and everything.
My time with the students today went well. They participated and had many questions which is a good sign – or so I think. Then I spent time with a patient who I met the day before in the intensive care unit. He was so pleased to talk to me that he wanted to invite me for lunch today. It was a good visit with him and his family – sharing of one’s culture. While I was waiting for my pick-up a father with his small daughter approached me to let me know she has a fever and needed a “shot”. He also introduced his wife to me. They all call me “sister” although I do not wear a uniform. Do I look that nun-like?
Our daily visit at SEAM was very lively but also rewarding to interact with the children.
For our dinner Sheeba and Stephen took us to Kumarakom – a restaurant that specializes in Kerala style food which was delicious. A very pleasant evening.
Thought for the day: Remember even the small things we do can make a difference in somebody’s life.

No comments: