Tuesday, August 5, 2008




Monday, July 28, 2008

Exhaustion has made me terse, so here goes:

Kathy and I (Jim, here) began our construction work at SEAMS this morning, helping to build the temporary toilets that will be necessary once the old ones are demolished (there’s a new dormitory in the offing, with new toilets). We both were humbled by the strength and economy of motion our Indian co-workers displayed, and they were intrigued by our cumbersome work clothes. They suggested, through Stephen, that I consider wearing a lungi for greater flexibility, but I don’t think India (or I, for that matter) is ready for the inevitable unraveling that would occur. Kathy and I laughed and sweated and were pleased with our progress.

Deanne joined Karen over at St. Joseph’s, taking Jim’s place in the lower kindergarten. She reports that the children loved making crowns and writing their names on them; she was beaming at lunch and says that this is a perfect fit. Karen, too, had a great day and continues to come up with innovative ways to teach English. She prefers the new orange syrup at break-time, but I think she says this just to make me envious. I am.

I got the chance, again, to watch George at Grace School. We dropped George off on our way to SEAMS and got to see all the children march by and greet us to the tune “Bridge over the River Kwai.” I’ve said it before: George is much loved by the students and staff. Ricca and Phyllis taught the kids to race around the room on their plastic chairs at Assisi Illam. They are full of good stories.

Stephen arranged for all of us to go to Spencer Mall after SEAMS. He is the best. Books, balls, cookies, and silks were purchased. Dinner can only be described using every positive adjective we can find.

(Ricca bought a mask that looked nothing like the heavy bronze one she liked, but it was cheaper and intriguing nonetheless).

And now for the quote, and it’s one that challenges the false dichotomy between the spiritual and the practical. I invite each of you to find spiritual significance in this simple advice: Lift with your knees, not with your back.

Jim Robinson

No comments: