Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Wednesday, June 27th, 2012

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, commited, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Today the day started off with some chutney, seriously I'm really liking spice, even in my breakfast! After that Stephen and Sheeba went to pick up Sweety from SEAMs, because she was going to see the doctor. We met at the house and left for Assisi. On the way we dropped Sheeba and Sweety at the hospital. We arrived to Assisi and there was a lot of crying but again the coloring book helped a lot. After a while Sheeba and Sweety joined us. Sweety calmed one of the little boys who is always crying he even took off his shoes! I'm so glad the children are starting to get more comfortable every day. I ran around with them for a while but had to stop because it was so hot! Then, just before lunch I saw one of them discovered he could go behind the fridge and find his way out and well the rest joined him, they started making a line and you could see how every two seconds a new kid appeared from fridge. But then I had to go, so I said bye bye to everyone and we left.

We arrived to the house and had lunch. After that I started to print out a Colombian riddle for the kids at Grace School and I got an idea and also printed whats needed to play a game called stop. Sweety helped me and then I left to teach class at the school. At the beginning all they did was to repeat the words of the riddle but as soon as they found out what the game was about they got very concentrated and played along. We had a lot of fun and the game helped them review their vocab.

As soon as I came back I went to the tailor with Sheeba, we stopped at a shop to buy some cucumbers and ice cream. At 5:15 we left to SEAMs, we took a soccer ball with us. I played the whole time with the boys, we had so much fun. The girls kept asking me to play with them, so tomorrow I'll play with the girls instead. I hope the boys had as much fun as I did.

Camila



Tuesday, June 26th, 2012

"I may not have gone where I wanted to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Today was a very busy day. At Assisi we found a new way to keep the children calm, drawing!! They really liked it, which kept them busy from thinking about missing their amas. There has been a really good process with the girl that used to cry the whole time, now all she wants is to be lifted up and taken to the window. At least, she's not crying. I hope that with time she won't miss her ama as much so she can be able to play around with the rest of the children. I'm fascinated by their cleverness, every day its a surprise. One of the sisters gave me a juice box and they all wanted to have a try, they opened their little mouth asking for more. It's very interesting how before lunch more than one starts complaining and crying, I guess their all hungry and that is how they express.

We left Assissi and came home for some lunch. We had tamarind rice, cabbage and egg plant, my personal favorites. To be honest I thought I was always going to find indian food spicy but surprisingly I don't anymore! Off course I can't take as much spice as indians, but now I don't find everything spicy. As usual we talked about indian culture, I'm always curious. Then I left for Grace School. We reviewed some grammar, the solar system and the continents. They really like spelling so one of the groups asked to have another spelling bee and the other asked for the banana game. After class at Grace School I had my usual nap, and we left to SEAMs at 5pm. At SEAMs I played hopscotch with the girls and I tried learning one of their hand games, but I think I failed. Then I braided their hair and they braided mine. Keerthana was crying so I came to her she calmed down so I hope I was of some help. After that we we to the city for some more shopping! It was so overwhelming, but it's also part of the experience of being in India.

Camila


Monday, June 25th, 2012

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Today was my first day without Lucia. It's a bit harder because there are so many kids, but I get to have them all for myself. I have come up to the conclusion that these kids have taught me that you don't need money to live a happy life and with love everything is easier.

At Assisi, Sheeba and I didn't have to deal with so much crying compared to last Monday. Some little ones still misa their amas but with time they'll like going to play at the daycare. I played a lot with the kids, they jumped and ran around with me. They screamed auntie auntie everytime I stopped, so I would keep playing with them. As usual Emanuel was looking for Sheeba the whole time. I love hearing their laughs when they have fun and knowing that I can make their day a bit more happy.

At 12 we left Assisi and came for some lunch, after we ate we talked about the Indian and Colombian politics and concluded that in many aspects our cultures have similarities. After that I left to Grace School. The kids kept asking about Lucia. I had one group for forty five minutes and the other one for another forty five minutes. I discovered they like spelling words so we did a spelling bee! They behaved very well today.

Before going to SEAMs we went to the store, I bought some nighties and the other dress they wear here in India (I can't remember how it's called). Then we went to SEAMs and I had so much fun watching how they are able to play with the simplest things. Kerthana said good bye with a huge hug and a kiss, her smile always lights up my soul.

Camila




Thursday and Friday, June 21st and 22nd, 2012

“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laugher is the only cure for grief. And that love is stronger than anything else.”

My two last days have been full of emotions. Exitement and sadness, but must of all joy has been every second, everywhere. I am pretty sure that today I don’t have the total capacity to understand what I’ve learned in this place. I know some things, I could say it’s all about love and making the best of what comes in our way; but I think that the real meaning of the hole experience will come through the next years. Whenever I don’t expect it, everyt thing that I have lived will be all explained. What I do know, is that this time spent opened even more my mind, my heart, and my desire to make my small constribution to this world.

Assissi Illam, has mustly thought me the love of the children to their parents. The importance of them in their life, the attention they need, the importante of punctuality, and the attachement that is created from one to another. The simplicity of kids for having fun, their unstoppable laugh with just a little detail, the smartness they have, the tenderness in their hearts. They say children have to learn from their parents, and I would say that parents should never forget to learn from their children. These days have been better calm than noisy, there hasn’t been too much crying, except for a few that can’t stand being away from their parents. Yesterday Dani made poop in his panties, it was really funny as he didn’t want Camila to lift him up. After a while, we knew why. Emmanuel didn’t stop asking about Sheeba, or that’s what I understood. And for the others, I think they had fun and enjoyed the time. There were two pretty girls, that asked us to come back the next day, please. It was so nice to hear that. J Sri wasn’t there today, and I couldn’t say goodbye to her; but Im glad that Sandra was there even if this week she wasn’t as happy as I first knew her. Today she was happier though. Stephan is such a nice boy, we call him “cachetes”, that means “cheeks”, and he just tries to repeat it and laughs. I could describe each and one of them, but it would take me a long time to do so. They are all gorgeous. Sisters, Rina and Alfonsa were always so nice; it never passed a day in which they didn’t ask us if we needed something. It was a pleasure for me spending every morning during 3 weeks at this place. I think a lot of people talk about the importance and care of the kids, but just a few have the heart to do it.

Grace school. Little challenging part of the program. It helped me develop my patience, creativity and enthousiasm for the children to learn. The past two days, children were more calm than the firsts days of the week. I think Stephan might have talked with them, but I also felt that at the moment they realized that I was leaving, they started to listen to every word that came out of my mouth. I definitely learned from their smiles, their joy, their enthousiasm, their laugh, their simplicity and their sympathy. Today we played bingo, as they asked me the hole week for it. They really enjoyed the game. Every day, at the moment in which the class finished, we always had a talk with Esther. She and the rest of the teachers were all very kind since the moment we entered to the school. They always received us and treated amazing. I think the job that Esther is doing has really to be admired. In order to do that, I think that a huge heart and a great dedication is needed for keeping and supporting a school as she does. As I said a few days ago, I think children enjoy us and thank us enourmously for being here, but what they don’t know is that what they make us feel is much more than that.

SEAM’S. What a small, and not so small pretty familiy they have created. They are such a nice children. They all make their own contribution to make the best of it. I really admire each one of them for the strenght they have, or seem to have as strong is the only choice they have. Even if I can imagine what would be being away from my family, I know that it is really nothing compared to what truly is; what they feel. They have been through so many difficult times, and still they haven’t lost the bright in their eyes. People should learn from that, and having the opportunity to have seen it and felt it, makes me really fortunate. Normally we used to play memory almost all the times. The past few days we played “lock and key”. I don’t remember the last time I swetted that way, but we had so much fun. Camila tought them some Spanish songs, and now they can’t stop asking us to sing it. Even if I had to sing them maybe a hundred times, I still change the words every time, I don’t get to learn them and sing them correctly. Today was my last day, they all sang me a beatiful song and some of the boys stood up and danced. They gave me a really nice kind of goodbye letter with all their signatures in it. It was time to go, they al hugged me very tight. I am really going to miss all of them. As for Grandma, Lea and the rest that take care of the children, I think is really admirable the way they have dedicated their life to them.

Now I can say that I had the opportunity to learn how children and the residents of Porur live; about local schools, and something about Indian culture and life. I had the opportunity to develop friendship with the children and other Indian people with whom I worked, I learned some things about myself, and I am able to say that this was one of the best experiences of my life.

Lucia



Wednesday, June 20th, 2012

“May you live all the days of your life!” - Jonathan Swift

Today was a great day, just like the past few days I have spent here in India. The quote I quoted describes perfectly how my perspective about life has changed thanks to what I have learned next to the children.

This morning we had breakfast as usual at 8:30 am, it was really good. After that Lucia, Sheeba and I left to Assissi Ilam. We arrived at 10 and started playing with the children. At first they were a bit sad but then when they saw the new toys Sheeba brought to them they started getting more calm as the time passed. Steven kept crying and was asking for his mom, so I lift him up and he started getting better. I spent a lot of time playing with the boys and the toy cars, they seemed really happy. We had some tea and right before leaving Sister Rose called Lucia and me, we were a bit shock because it sounded as if she was going to tell on us but all she wanted was to offer to us some mango.

We left Assissi at around 12pm and headed home. We had lunch and then went to buy some bindis. After that we rested for a while until we left to Grace School. In general, for me, teaching class at Grace School has been the most challenging because it is very tough to keep the children’s attention for long periods of time. Today I had to be a bit tough with the smaller kids I teach. I told them that if they didn’t stay quite they would have to force me to ask them to leave the classroom. Thankfully it worked and I got they’re attention for the rest of the class. I’m impressed with the level of english they have and I hope I can contribute even more.

After that we came back home and rested until 5 pm. Before going to SEAMS we went to the tailor to pick our sarees. Lucia and me are so excited about wearing them tomorrow. Unfortunately they weren’t ready, but they told us to come back later. Then we headed to the store to buy the underskirts for the sarees and afterwards we arrived to children’s home. There we played and I thought the girls a colombian game, we laughed and had a lot of fun. I don’t like saying good bye to them because I love so much how they make my day with they’re smiles but fortunately I get to see them again tomorrow. When we left one of the kids was feeling sick so the car dropped us home and then took him to the hospital.

Before dinner we tried the upper part of the saree with Lucia, we asked Sheeba to take a look and the first thing she did was laugh! She told us: you’re wearing it the other way around! We couldn’t help Laughing with her. Then we had dinner and went to sleep. It was a very good day. I feel so happy before going to sleep thinking about the smiles of the kids when we spend time with them.

Camila


Tuesday, June 19th, 2012

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything they just make the most of everything that comes along their way” - Unknown

Yesterday at Assissi there was a lot of crying. They might be just one or two kids that were calm and quiet. Camila looked quite amazed, and it seemed that Stephan and Sheeba were worried that she would think that it was like that everyday. We had a lot of fun though. Today was better, the thing is that the two boys that cried the most yesterday weren’t today so the others didn’t have someone to follow.

As we got to Grace school, Stephan introduced Camila to the children. She told me that she did fine during the class, but that they got distracted very easily. They have been talking a lot the last few days, but today I discovered a way to control them quite good and they liked it. They are all really sweet and they treat us amazing. It seems that they really enjoy having us there. What they don’t know is that we enjoy it way much more and feel very lucky to have the opportunity to get to know them.

As we got to the house, we got a little rest in our rooms and then we went a little bit earlier to SEAM’s as we first passed to a store just in front of the children’s home. Being at SEAM’s makes me learn something new everyday. That little family that they’ve created, I just don’t have any words to describe what it is. Yesterday was a really nice day, as the two little sisters that have been crying since they got there, were as happy as the others, and that felt really really good. The thing is that today they were gone, and so did Lakshmi. It seems that they are not going back, but I’m glad that they found them and that they are fine.

Dinner was great. The food, and then the talk we had about Indian Casts. It was so interesting. I have learned so many things here, that I wish I had more time and could stay longer. Today’s dinner was also nice, we tried this bitter vegetable that no one likes. I really thought I was going to be the third volunteer of liking it, but the truth is that I'm not.


Lucia

No comments: