Wednesday, July 4, 2012


Friday, June 15th, 2012

“Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world.” - LEO TOLSTOY

When I woke up this morning I had a bittersweet feeling about today. I was happy to be feeling much better than the last few days, but I was sad to think that it would be the last time I was to wake up in India. We had our morning breakfast, although I still don’t have my normal appetite back. It was great to spend my last morning with Stephan, Sheeba and Lucia talking about the last two weeks and the children.

At Assisi it wasn’t only my last day, but also Sister Stella’s last day. She will be transferring to a different location and I think the kids knew something wasn’t right because she wasn’t there on time this morning. I really enjoyed the time there today, seeing all the children playing, laughing, some crying and some fighting, made me cherish the time I have had there. The children have taught me so much about love, and I will hold them deep in my heart. Danny and Ahjit, the two boys I have been close with since the beginning both weren’t there today which made me sad that I didn’t get to say goodbye. I hope that I have made a small difference in their lives. There was a new little boy, I am not sure of his name that was crying and crying all morning. He let me pick him up, and I rocked him until he was quiet. The crying started again and I began to walk around with him. He held onto my very closely and soon fell asleep. It really touched me, that this little boy, who I had never met before, let me comfort him when he was so upset. These children long for love, and I am blessed to have spent time with them to show them that I do care about and love them.

After Assisi we went straight to Stephan’s parents’ house for a delicious lunch. It was very kind of them to invite us into their home, and cook for us. I had a very nice time, and we got to meet Stephan’s Sister-in-law and adorable 1 year old niece. Stephan’s brother, also Stephan, showed us his own home right next door which was very sweet. He had painted a mural on the wall of the living room, and it was very nice. Everyone in Stephan’s family is really nice, and I am so glad that I got to meet them, although we missed Roshan and Robbin who were both in school.

I was feeling tired after lunch, so we decided that I would just go to Grace School to say goodbye to the children there. As soon as I walked in the children greeted me and asked me how I was doing, and if I was feeling better. I said that I was, but also that I came to say goodbye because today was my last day. They got very sad, and were hugging me over and over again. It was very sweet. Keerthana wouldn’t leave my side, and told me that she was very sad I was leaving. Priya asked me if I will be back next year, I said hopefully in a few! After a lot of pictures with the kids, more hugs and kisses, more photos, and more hugs I finally said goodbye. As I walked out the kids were waving goodbye; that is a memory that I will never forget. I will miss the children dearly, and hope the best for them in life because they are all smart, wonderful children.

Tonight we will go to SEAMS to spend our time with the children and I will have to say goodbye. I am so thankful to have met the children at SEAMS because I admire their strength. They come from poor families who are unable to take care of them and most of them have been missing their families. They are happy children though who love to run around and play games, and they treat each other with such love, that you find only in families. They have made a family with each other, and in that I think they find peace.

We will then have our last dinner as a team at the guesthouse, and I will have only a few hours to spend with Stephan, Sheeba, Roshan and Lucia before I leave for the airport. I am sad to go, but also happy to know that I will be seeing my own family after 3 very long flights. I can’t explain how much I have learned and grown as an individual since I came to Chennai. I will deeply miss this country and the wonderful adults and children I have developed friendships with in just a short two weeks. I do hope that I will be able to come back one day, but even if I don’t, I know that I will never forget this truly amazing trip.

Emily



Tuesday, June 12th, 2012

“Where there is love, there is life.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Today I woke up with lots of energy. That was good, as Emily still didn’t feel better and she stayed the whole day resting in her room. Hopefully tomorrow she will be fine so she can enjoy her 3 days left.

I went to Assissi with Sheeba, kids were really calm today. They practiced some English songs, and had milk and cookies as usually. They all had a lollypop and were very happy about it. It is the last week of Sister Stella, I think kids haven’t realized that and will miss her a lot when she will be gone.

The first group at Grace school was a little bit noisy, they couldn’t stop talking, but the second one listened pretty well.

At SEAM’s I played cards with the girls as every day, and had a very good time. I heard Sweetie read a story, she does it pretty well! Today I met 3 new girls, they seem really nice and they are all very cute. Keerthana didn’t come back to SEAM’s. I am still looking forward to see her again. She really got into me really fast.

Lucia



Monday, June 11th, 2012

“Live simply, so others may simply live.” - Mother Theresa

Things at Assissi worked pretty well today. There were not so many kids crying, and the ones that were, left early so the other stayed calm the rest of the time. Dani can’t stop smiling, he is just too happy now and I’m glad about that, he used to have a sad face every day. I made several times a big tower of lego with Riona, she was amazed that it was taller than her. As for the others, we just played with them and the balls. Sister Stella showed us more Indian dances to Emily and me, we did it pretty well I think.

When we got to Grace school, all the kids received us as always; with great enthousiasm. I think both Emily and me were pretty tired, but the classes went fine. At the end we took some pictures with them, they were really exited. A boy named Bharat teared my hair and kept one, he says that I have it too soft. It was pretty funny.

We left the house a bit soon to go to SEAM as afterwards we planned to go to a store in the center of Chennai, but Emily started to feel sick. She went back home with Sheeba, while I stayed with Stephan and Roshan. As I entered at SEAM, I was expecting a girl named Keerthana to comer over me and hug me as usually, but she didn’t appear. I looked and kept waiting for her, until I asked where she was. They told me that her father took her with him. I felt sad about it, I really would like to see her again. I started thinking what these kids might have lived, I couldn’t even imagine. The thing is, and that’s what I really learnt today, happiness is a decision you make every day, And for the love, it is bigger than anything else. Keerthana and the other kids have thought me the way of being happy even if life isn’t as you expect to be, that live goes on and you have to make the best of it.


Roshan Stephan and me returned to the house walking. It was nice. A boy of SEAM joined us for a while, as we went to the pharmacy to buy him a medicine. I got something too there.

Dinner was great. Emily was resting, but she came downstair after we finished and ate some white rice. She was feeling a little better now. Sheeba and Stephan went to the store to buy some things for Emily while we both watched for Roshan. They are really making our stay enjoyable.

Lucia



Friday, June 8th, 2012

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” - Nelson Mandela

Today was the last day of our first week working here in Chennai, and it was a great. We had our regular morning and headed over to Assisi. When we arrived there was only a few kids crying, and it ended quickly. The kids were all in great spirits, playing on their own and engaging with both of us. Danny, the little boy that hasn’t left my side all week, was in a particularly good mood. He was smiling and laughing as soon as we started playing, he also began to warm up to Lucia and the other kids as well. It was so great to see. He really enjoyed us chasing him, and kicking the soccer ball around the room. Soon all the kids were running, kicking the balls and having a good time. It made me really happy to see the difference in the children since we started working with them. They are all wonderful, beautiful children who make me smile every morning. 

We were then welcomed with smiles at Grace, as always, and the kids were in good moods as well. We taught our classes, and shared that all students seemed ready for the weekend! Jenifer, a little girl at Grace, showed us her missing front tooth, and a second tooth fell out during class!

 Back at the guesthouse, we enjoyed a sweet Indian yogurt called Lassi, it was delicious and hit the spot on this very warm day. Lucia went to take a rest, while I had my first experience doing laundry the “old fashion” way, with the help of Sheeba of course. It was quite an experience as I have always used a washing machine and had no idea what to do. Sheeba is an expert though; she showed me were most of the dirt hides, and how to scrub it out.  Once my laundry was hanging on the terrace to dry, it was almost time for SEAMS.

This evening we brought our toothbrushes, soap and towels to SEAMS, to teach the students how to properly brush their teeth and wash their bodies. It was a fun time, and the kids really seemed to listen and learn. We also brought lollipops that a former volunteer had mailed over, which the kids really enjoyed. Lucia helped the adults peel garlic, while I played with Roshan and listened to Stephan speak to the kids in Tamil. Our night ended with dinner back at the guest house, Coca Cola, and ice cream thanks to Stephan! It was a really great day, and this weekend will be full of experiences as we are traveling this weekend!

Emily


No comments: