Monday, July 11, 2011

Millinium Development Goals Achieved by this team from June 18 -  July 9

 75 Hours of class room instruction in conversational English by 2 volunteers and  75 Hours of preparation time

30 Hours of Childcare by 1 volunteer. over 15 students impacted

2 Children's Homes, 1 School and over 140 students impacted




July 8, 2011
“Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go. “ - Mother Teresa

The last day in India has approached. Although it was inevitably going to happen, I did not think that it would approach this soon. There is a mixed bag of emotions I am feeling today. I am very happy to get back to my soon to be husband, my dogs, and all of the people I love back at home. However, there are people here in India who I have built relationships with that I am so very sad to leave.

Zach and I survived three weeks being just a very small little team. As I said earlier, yes we were small but I think, no, I know we were power packed. We ran on diesel engines!  We were both so committed to the program here in India that we gave it our absolute all each and every day we woke up. Each day we had wonderful stories about the children we served. Each day we soaked in as much as India as we possibly could.  I think we both truly loved this trip to India.

I did my usually routine-ate breakfast, filled my water bottle and headed to Grace. Today I also dressed in my last saree. I was again greeted so kindly by the children and the teachers. A slight sadness was in the air knowing it was my last day and tomorrow I would be boarding the airplane back to Minnesota. However, I wanted to make this last memory as happy as possible so that is just what I did!  I decided it would be a day to have fun with the students.  My first graders drew pictures of a bear. We sang a song and I put a sticker on each of their palms. I then gave them giant hugs as they left, treasuring each one. They are young and do not fully understand it when I say I will be leaving tomorrow. So, when I said goodbye they stated, Nali ku pakalum (see you tomorrow). I just said, “Good bye” and smiled. My 2nd grade girls. OH how they have won my heart. This group was one of the hardest to say good bye to. We started by taking a lot of photos. I set my camera timer and we all hugged, made goofy faces and had fun taking pictures together.  We then played word bingo (which they ADORE). When the bell rang I felt the sadness in my heart to say goodbye to these young girls. Each gave me a giant hug and two said I will miss you. I stated to each of them, “I will miss you so much”.  Then on to my 3rd graders who have also won my heart. They are such a fun and smart group. They also requested to play word BINGO. We had a lot of fun with this and then after we too did a photo shoot. It was hilarious. We were all laughing so hard while we took such fun pictures together.   Their sweet good bye notes I will treasure.  At the lunch hour I gathered the teachers, whom I have had such fun with, for a picture and then big goodbye hugs.  They made me promise to write to them from America. That I will do. Wonderful ladies with wonderful hearts. I then realized I had to face the other direction and head for the van when Stephen arrived as the tears were beginning to well up in my eyes.  It was sad to say good bye to a new family at Grace.

When I returned home, Stephen, Sheeba and Roshan served Zach and I a wonderful meal on a big banana leaf. We ate the meal traditional Indian style, with our hands. It was such a fun experience and a fun way to spend our last lunch together at the guesthouse. Roshan was so kind to help clean up the table afterwards. A sweet, hilarious, and smart little boy he is! It was then on to my daily nap to rest from the morning and rejuvenate for the evening.

In the evening we went to SEAMS where we spent our last night with the children. The time went by so very fast, too fast. We played with the children, spinning them around in our arms, shooting baskets, throwing balls, simple things that mean so much to the children. We then went into the hall where the children sang us a thank you song, danced, said good-bye and presented us with a beautiful handmade card (I love handmade items-they tug at my heartstrings).  I again found it to be such a sad moment…we had a lot of fun; however, saying goodbye to children whom you have grown quite fond of is a hard thing to do. I was really starting connecting with many of the young ladies there which was hard to say goodbye to. All the children were hard to say goodbye to.  I leave them knowing that I poured my heart into them and I hope in the end, it impacted them in some way. I know I will continuously think about them, pray for them, and hope the very best for them. I also hope to see them again soon in the near future…hopefully sooner than later!

After SEAMS we went out for a nice dinner where Zach and I literally stuffed ourselves silly. The food here is just too delicious to turn down second, oh, third helpings!  Tandoori chicken, Naan, Chicken butter masala (Zach’s favorite), a lentil curry dish, dosa with onion chutney, oh my, it was all so good. It was so nice to spend our last night as a team, Zach, myself and also Sheeba, Stephen and Roshan. We all made up our team while here in India.  A small, but, wonderful team whom I will miss.  Thank you so very very very much to Stephen, Sheeba and Roshan. The three of them made our time in India amazing. Such kind, generous and giving people. I will miss them.  I also thank Stephen, the driver, Roni, our cook, Barnabos, the security guard and all the hosts at our work sites. They too made this trip to India amazing.

I (as well as Zach) hand the torch on to the next team. Please, enjoy every single part of India and everyone you meet. Try every single food and fruit that Stephen or Roni offers (you never know what you might just really like!). Eat as many Mangos as possible as they are so very delicious. Pour your heart into the children. They do not need anyone’s money; they need your full heart, love and care. I promise you, they will give it back to you as well!  To the eye, India may not be as beautiful as a tropical destinations you may have been on, however, underneath India is filled with beauty that is beyond imaginable; the people, the sounds, the children, the food, the country, it is all such a wonderful and marvelous place. Soak in every bit of India as you can as it will fly by and before you know it you will be boarding the plane to go back to America!

Naomi
July 7, 2011

This serves as my final journal entry where I realize I cannot possible explain in words what a spectacular experience this has been. From day one, I recall stepping out of the International Terminal at Chennai/Madras Airport and being surrounded by a mob of locals there to help me with my bags and provide transportation. And within 3 short weeks, it is time to leave this now-familiar city we have called home. Naomi and I have both accomplished our tremendous goals in India. From the instant I started working with these ever-so-cute children, I knew saying goodbye was not going to be an easy task. From little Danny at Assisi Illam thinking I am his “pa pa” to my fourth grade class always hiding in the classroom when I arrive; my experiences in Chennai has left a dramatic imprint on my life. When I return home, I am going to recognize the simple values in life. Having bountiful amounts of food in my refrigerator, clean drinking water at my endless disposal, and a beautiful family to share all my memories with are all pleasures I have taken for granted in the past. The orphanages I have served at have taught me to value the simple things in life, and to not be so dependent on the luxuries that plague America. I am determined to cherish my family, lifestyle, and education; many which the children I have worked with lack. As it is our last day of service tomorrow, Naomi will be wearing her Saree and I will be wearing my new Kurta. I look forward to spending a carefree day with the children and taking lots of pictures.

To wrap this journal up, these 3 weeks have been life-changing. I know Naomi and I will return to the States with a new outlook on society. We have been through endless sore throats, a plethora of mosquito bites, and even a trip to the hospital. Yet, Naomi and I have successfully tackled our goal at improving the education of these young children. Our three goals were to love and care for the children, to experience the culture of India, and to teach the children English. All three of these goals have been accomplished, and I look forward to returning to this beautiful country in the future.

“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.” –Anonymous

I chose this quote because my time here in Chennai has taught me that the education and prosperity of children is not completely recognized worldwide. Naomi and I have contributed as a piece of the puzzle that Global Volunteers is helping to put together year around for these amazing children!

Zach

No comments: