Wednesday, July 6, 2011


July 5, 2011

Today we began our third week working with the children. We spent an amazing week in the forest this past weekend but I must admit, as wonderful as it was, I was ready to get back to Chennai and work with the children again!

Greeted again by their wonderful smiles, beautiful eyes, kisses on the cheek and their prideful exclamations of knowing my name, I again felt that reassuring feeling as to why I came to India, to impact the children in some way, shape or form.  I truly hope that the hugs I give, the lessons I teach, and the care I render will affect the children in some form after I leave.

My first graders worked on their shapes today, something they appear to struggle with. An activity at the board followed by a drawing activity on shapes, appeared to hold their attention well today. Of course, there were those whispers on the side, jumping out of the seat, and the constant “mam, mam” to get my attention so I could see the work they did, were all present, however, they worked pretty hard.  My second graders were again sweet as pie. Happy to greet me with the greeting song they had learned.  They are so sweet as the always want to be as helpful as possible; erasing the board for me, turning on the fan, placing my bag of supplies in a good spot, whatever they could do to help.  My last group, the 3rd graders, did their regular routine, a morning message, question of the day and then various work activities. One of the boys had a piece of wood that was covered with some blue crayon.  It was a piece of “art” he had made me over the weekend. The gesture was so sweet as this piece of wood was nothing but a scrap, however, the thought and love he put into it made it a treasured artifact.  Another great day at Grace school. I never leave that school without smiling on my way out.

We ate a great lunch today, as always. A couple of my favorites were present, Chapatti bread and also mangos. Give me those to things at any meal and I am one happy girl. I am realizing how much I am going to miss this food. I look forward to opening the round containers at each meal to see what pleasantly awaits us. I am always happy with what it is because I have liked everything. My two cups of coffee in the morning and the delicious meals will be missed terribly!  Tomorrow night we will be learning how to make a few items we have come to love. I know they will not turn out near as good as Roni’s, however, I hope I can master a portion of the deliciousness so I can continue to eat some of this divine food at home.

After lunch and a MUCH needed nap from the weekend, we headed over to SEAMS. Zach and I both worked one on one with the children again. I love their eagerness to work with us and learn.  One of the girls, Saranya, was so funny as all she could do was giggle and hide her head in my arm. It took some time getting started on our work. I giggled along with her though as I just could not help it.  Toward the end of our time together so begged, and I mean begged, for just one more book mam, just one more.  I have into one. Then she did it again. I now had to figure out how to say no more books (which is so hard for me to say to child when they beg to read). Putting all the books into my backpack and zipping it up appeared to do the trick!  I worked with about 4 children tonight, seesawing between working and talking with each one.  Such impressions they each leave on me. Such sweet kids. The end of the night all of the sudden got a little out of control as it appeared they just wanted to play. But, all in all, it was a successful night, another night of memories.  Only 3 days left to make as many memories as possible with the children.  I will miss them, that is one thing I know to be true.

Don't spend your precious time asking "why isn't the world a better place?" It will only be a waste of time. The question to ask is "How can I make it better?”

Naomi

July 3 – 5, 2011

This past weekend was quite the experience. We hopped on our overnight train to the town of Mysore. No I have never experienced an Indian train ride nor have I heard of the “vast” accommodations on these trains. However, it was definitely worth the crammed sleeping conditions and constant sounds of “coffee coffee chai chai”. When we arrived in Mysore we were greeted by our driver and headed to a small restaurant for a simple breakfast. Then into the forest (more like jungle) we went. The car took us to a small village where Naomi, Stephen, and I were met by our jungle expert. He took us deep into the center of the jungle to a small coffee plantation. On this plantation rested two beautiful cottages with simple living necessities. Here, amenities included an electric fence to warn off strange pretenders as well as a very nice viewing point. We unpacked, showered, and rested on the terraces admiring the absolute magnificence of the nature. Around 5pm we headed out onto our jeep safari. The forest was so quiet, and almost no animals were to be seen. We searched for nearly an hour, until the driver brought us to the main road where it seemed all the action was. Our drive spotted a few elephants in the distance and instructed us to remain silent. We admired the beasts from a distance and eventually moved on. Throughout the night we heard sounds of peacocks, bison, elephants, various birds, and leopards. The jungle seemed to be filled with hidden creatures that dared not to reveal their identity. After, we ate dinner on the terrace and listened into the jungle. Upon finishing, we sat in the dark listening for any animals who decided to indulge in the tasty salt laid out by our hosts. Suddenly, the mahout called that an elephant was close by. After a moment, he shined the mega flashlight into the night and there stood a magnificent baby elephant. We searched around for the mother, but she was no where to be found. The baby elephant eventually fled, and we remained in silence. Upon going to bed, I heard the sounds of something else strange outside our cottage. I woke Stephen up to find that an elephant and two bison made their way to the salty treats! We admired for a bit and went back to bed. The next morning we woke up promptly at 5:30am (yes that early) to attempt to go on an elephant ride through the jungle. The elephants were booked so we did some sight seeing instead. Throughout the village and forest we could see spectacular views of the large mountainous terrain. There exists on the top of the colossal mountains a village called Ooty. Ooty is home to tribal Indians who have rested there for a long time. Although many of these smaller villages are filled with nothing but unemployed drunks who enjoy their lifestyle of mooching off the government, I found the idea of living on top a huge mountain very interesting.

            After our failed attempt at the elephant we headed to a small sanctuary for elephants where Naomi, Stephen, and I got to touch and see a baby elephant. This little fella was only 1 year old and was no bigger than the size of a SmartCar. He was very playful and watching his trunk flail around in the air and grabbing string was very entertaining. Later, we trekked through the jungle where we only saw some spotted deer. It seemed as though the animals knew we were coming much sooner than we knew where they were. It was disappointing walking around so much and not seeing much. However, the sights were so gorgeous. As we rested by a rock briefly, our mahout noticed an elephant at a distance. It was a baby and a mama elephant. We watched in silence at these beauts, and admired their natural habitat that they lived. The mother and baby elephant seemed so natural and untouched, and I really admired that. The forest was extremely silent, with air only pierced by the sounds of wild birds and tiny insects. We packed up back at our temporary home, and made the long drive back to the village. Naomi and I proudly received complementary chiropractic adjustments by the generosity of the 4x4 jeep. As there are no roads per say, it was a bumpy ride to say the least. Rocks, dirt, mud, and lack of pavement seemed like no problem for this bustling vehicle. Our driver, as fearless as he was, seemed as he was taking it easy on the roads too. American roads have nothing on those in the jungle, that’s for sure! We started the drive back to Meysore an incredible palace. Here, we saw beautiful gold architecture, amazing dancing halls, and some authentic ivory-crested doors. The king of this palace was amazingly wealthy, and this obvious. Throughout the early 1900’s he was perceived as more of an idol, and when his former palace burnt down. An outstanding new palace was built at the low cost of only $100,000. If I could build that structure today at that same price I would definitely be taking out some loans. The architecture, history, and numerous artifacts were unbelievable to say the least. The palace had 12 temples located just on the grounds alone. There I got to ride my elephant around the palace (in the heavy downfall of rain) and admire the true gem of India. Later, we visited the marketplace that was hustling and bustling with hundreds of visitors and thousands of vendors. The true lifestyle of an average Indian could be seen in this small, crowded marketplace. Young boys preparing vegetables for sale and desperate men trying to sell their bananas next to 5 other people selling the same bananas was a common experience. The market was crammed with vendors, but few buyers were on the grounds. It was quite the experience seeing young boys trying to lure us in by saying “hello hello where are you from”. We then boarded the train out of Meysore and enjoyed the absolutely spectacular accommodations of the Southern Indian Railroad. The next morning Naomi headed to Grace and I headed to Assisi. The kids at Assisi were a bit difficult yesterday but it also may have been to my lack of sleep. As I have spent more time getting to know each child they seem to really feel more comfortable around me. The boys and girls each gave me a kiss on the cheek before I left, and it made me feel sooo special and important in their lives. That is why leaving India will be such a difficult thing for me. The kids at Assisi, Grace, and SEAMS all are purely amazing. At Grace, I worked with the kids on using a given noun in a sentence, and finished with letting them do some creative drawing. It’s quite comical how they always want to draw a house or some sort of an animal. I started to get creative and made one draw a dancing Veejay (a popular Indian actor/singer) and another draw an auto rickshaw in the forest and another draw a monster under a bed. They enjoyed these challenges and it helped to break them from the mold of traditional schooling, which I believe is important in all educational aspects. At SEAMS, we spent more time with the kids individually working on their English reading and conversational skills. The children always jump at the opportunity to read a book, but their attention span is quite short. It is necessary to come prepared with multiple activities and to always ‘play’ with the children in some way. I personally enjoy tickling them! The kids enjoyed some cake and then we had a bit of free-for-all time. Naomi and I were exhausted so we then headed back to the guest house and to simply put it…… slept like rocks. I’m anxious to come back home, but every time I’m spending time with the children it makes me want to stay for 2 more weeks soooo badly. The kids seem to love Naomi and me, and it will definitely be difficult heading back home after what seems sooo soon, yet so long.

Zach

July 1, 2011

“Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own.”

This quote was chosen after visiting SEAMS tonight. Tonight at SEAMS I sat next to a young boy, who is 14 years old. I have been quite fond of this young man since the beginning of this trip. He has a constant smile, takes such care of the other children, and has such a sweet, gentle heart. Some members of the community came into SEAMS tonight to give some food to the children: a banana, crackers, and a rice-crispy ball. We were advised to not take the food (for health precautions). This young boy next to me realized I did not have any food (unknowing of the fact that I had declined) and he offered me his banana and crackers. Of course I politely declined his offer, however, I think this is something I will never forget. This child does not have a whole lot in life, however, he recognized I didn’t have anything and offered his food to me. My heart literally melted by his generous offer. It was a clear example of how people should live; with self-less love and generosity.

We have been in India for two weeks. My feelings of India, the children, the things I have learned, the places I have seen, the people I have met, the culture, they are all almost indescribable. I talked with my future husband on Skype this evening and told him we must come back together. Even if he does not come, I know I will for sure come back. This has been an amazing two weeks and I look forward to the third week. Yes, I am missing things back at home, however, I also feel a comfort here in India. I look forward to seeing my students at Grace each day, the children at SEAMS each night, the teachers, our hosts, Stephen, Sheeba, and Roshan, and everyone else we meat along the way. It has been a far better trip then I ever would have expected. They say that India is one of the hardest Global Volunteer trips. As a past volunteer in Ecuador, I would agree, this trip has been harder but, while I loved my experience in Ecuador, I have really grown quite fond of the India program and all that the program has given to me.

Today was a good day. I was really tired today as it was a hot, hot, hot one however, it was still a good day. My 2nd grade class again greeted me as I walked into the room, singing the greeting I had taught them. So very very sweet. There are 4 young girls in my 2nd grade class. We all have so much fun together. Each day we laugh and laugh and laugh. We are probably a little bit too loud, but, I am okay with it as there is learning taking place and smiles on their faces. They now leave each day giving me a giant hug and saying “see you tomorrow, I’ll miss you”. Ok, heart melts again. I can see why volunteers come back again and again to India! My 3rd graders had drawn more pictures and written more notes. The notes stated, “I love you mam”. Ok, again, melt my heart. These simple little handwritten notes are evidence that I have accomplished what I wanted to accomplish here; giving the children as much love and care as I possibly can. At lunch time one of my 1st graders, who is as cute as a button but also tests my patience quite often, came over to where I was sitting on a bench, took my hand and just sat next to me for about 15 minutes. Ok, and again, melt my heart. These are the reasons why volunteering in India is so amazing.

At SEAMS tonight things became a little unstructured, however, it turned out to be a lot of fun actually. It is so very important to sit with the children to work on their English. However, once in a while having a “fun day” isn’t so bad! Zach and I worked with a couple of children and then the community members came in with food so we had to pause our work. It was then raining outside so the children could not go into the common area to play, read books, etc. so everybody was in the hall. Altogether, it did not lend to a good learning environment. So, we played 3 round of Simon Says in a big circle. This game tends to get very loud, however, I look around and I see so many smiles and so much laughter. After Simon Says we all just kind of hung out for a bit. I played many games of “hand slap”, “thumb war”, and “arm wrestling” with the boys. One of the older boys and I sat and played these games for quite some time. We were both rolling with laugher and were having a marvelous time. So, I thank the rain tonight as it provided us all with some fun times together and big smiles on everyone’s faces.

So, cheers to a wonderful third and last week in India. This week will be filled to the top with many emotions: sadness to leave, excitement to see our loved ones at home, reflection on our experience, and so much more. We leave tomorrow night for our train ride into the forest. I look forward to seeing a different part of India and experiencing more of the Indian culture! Luckily Zach is in charge of the journal entry because it will be cholk full of details!

Naomi

June 30, 2011

Today Naomi and I continued at Assisi, Grace, and SEAMS. I have been struggling with a young boy at Assisi named Setvet, he constantly hit the other children and loves to make the other kids cry. I have been trying to break him apart from the other children so they don’t get hurt, but it seems as soon as I sit him down; he’s back up and hitting the other kids. Danny wasn’t at Assisi today, so it was just me and the other children. They really love their building blocks! Sister Rose was not feeling well so it was basically Shiva and I who were watching the kids today. The younger boy, Rocshen, has been very quiet. The sisters told me he is very shy and never talks. I’ve noticed he always keeps to himself and never plays with any of the other children. Today, I picked him up, set him on the tricycle, and pushed him around the room. He all of a sudden was laughing a giggling, and he seemed like a whole new boy after that. He was interacting with me and loved the attention. Teaching the kids at Assisi is nearly impossible, as their attention span is about .25 seconds, but today I did manage to work on some English noun-recognition with them. When I got to Grace, I taught my fifth graders more sentence-formation and they are really starting to improve. The fourth graders still struggle, but they love the activities I plan for them! At SEAMS, Naomi and I have been working with the kids individually, and the results seem very effective. The boys absolutely love playing the “high-five game” and being lifted up into the air. They are sooo light because they weigh hardly anything that I even pick up the 13 year olds! Tonight, we headed to Stephen’s parent’s house for a lovely dinner. I could hardly eat all of the food on my plate, but I enjoyed everything. I was quite amazed at a young girl we met at Dinner. She lives above Stephen’s parent’s house with her husband. She seemed very unhappy with her arranged marriage, and almost depressed. She was sooooo excited when Naomi and I visited her home and she was very ecstatic to have “company” in her home. It was hard to hear how miserable she was, and not tell her to just leave her husband. I understand Indian culture is quite different from American’s, but my philosophy is, if you’re not happy, why would one put oneself through the torture. She sits at home all day cooking and cleaning. Her husband is never home cause he works 12 hour days, and she has no friends it seems like. My immediate response would be to do what she actually wants to and travel and see the world. However, the culture is different. If I had to force myself into a marriage and cope with the conditions, I would at least find a job (despite her mother and father-in laws demands). She should also find friends in the village and work towards accomplishing some sort of happiness in her life. India claims to be progressing in women’s rights and better-educated women. However, her story made me realize the customs that may still oppress women to an unimaginable extent. This experience was extremely impacting on my beliefs and my interpretation of the culture within the system.

Other than that, I am extremely homesick. I miss my family and my friends so much! All of my relatives and compadres are very supportive and excited for me to come home, but I just keep thinking about all the smiles on the kids’ faces when I walk through their gate. The gleam in their eyes when I teach absolutely stuns me. I truly believe I am making a difference in these children’s education, and I can’t wait to see how we can continue to progress throughout this trip. But I definitely still miss my home!

"You see, when weaving a blanket, and Indian woman leaves a flaw in the weaving of that blanket to let the soul out." -Martha Graham

I chose this because all cultures are flawed or different in some way. Society needs these flaws to work towards some progress and to uniquely identify themselves as human. Humans clearly are not all perfect, otherwise they would lose the essence of their soul; their spirit; and the foundation by which they live.

Zach

No comments: