Tuesday, November 6, 2007

“The longest journey begins with the first step”

The team gathers comfortably for breakfast – relieved at having secured our assignments, becoming increasingly relaxed in our growing familiarity with each other and the locale. Most are better rested. Off to Day 2 of our micro missions to make the world a better place.

Teachers and staff at St. Joseph’s School - 500 students from all classes of society – look elegant and cool in their lovely saris. The office staff are in bare feet, making ankle bracelet music as they walk.

I arrive at Miss Pintomercy’s Upper Kindergarten class of 41 five year olds and notice that today’s student uniforms are navy blue, black shoes and blue socks, contrasting with yesterday’s head-to-toe white. Only the gray and blue neckties are the same. The sea of beautiful little brown faces greets me with enormous white smiles. They are indescribably endearing, all wanting to grab my hand and ask my name again.

I immediately begin to gush with perspiration and notice that none of the four ceiling fans has been called into service. The children are reciting a story in English about a hunter and some birds. Over and over and over they repeat the words and I wonder if they understand what the story is about.

The class is eager to sing “I’m a Little Teapot” again, which I taught them yesterday. It seems that memorizing the words was homework last night. It is remarkable how quickly they learn songs and stories by heart, thanks to the Indian system of multiple repetitions and the addition of prompting gestures. I sneak a glace at their copy books and note they already have begun writing in cursive.

I taught them the “Rainbow Song”, complete with visual aides, and the liked it and learned the words quickly. I decide to bring paper and crayons so they can draw their own rainbows – the American system of reinforcing learning via multiple avenues.

At one point Miss Pintomerci vanished – I know not where – and the kids lost no time noting the absence of her and the ever present “whacker”. All I can say is that it was a blessing that “only” 38 of the 41 enrolled students were present.

Off to Mrs. Kavitha’s Lower Kindergarten class: over 50 3 ½ and 4 year olds registered. I repeated my ”Rainbow Song” presentation to this slightly less responsive group, assisted by the teacher who coached me to add on in small increments, going back to the beginning and repeating the whole thing again after each addition.

Time to go back to the Guest House, damp, bushed and hungry. All teachers of small children deserve sainthood!

I notice how things at first so shocking and unfamiliar are becoming less noticeable: mud, garbage, perilous mélange of people and all manner of vehicle traffic in the streets.

Other visitors preceded Karisa, Sheeba and me to SEAM: four members of the local Ladies Club were “well-wishing” by bringing snacks and other items for the kids. They do a great deal of charitable work and were eager to tell us about it. We spent the evening looking at books and flashcards and talking. Their enthusiasm is humbling. Their obvious appreciation brings a lump to the throat and I ponder life style differences and how values develop.

We wrap the day with a great meal with Sheeba and Stephen. Stephen enchants us with the story of their meeting and marriage and enlightens us about various religions in India.

7:30 P.M. and time for bed!

No comments: