Saturday, February 25, 2012


Friday, February 24, 2012

“Choose life.”  said Moses

We did when we chose to come to India and serve in Porur.  We've found what Columbus was looking for when he discovered the Americas, spices. The spices in the food and the spice of Indian life.

It's hard to say “Farewell.”  The sweet faces and kindness showed to us will remain with us forever.  Tonight we had a “Send Off Party” at SEAMS. We were thouroughly entertained with songs and dances by the children. The speakers Kay Kay purchased allowed us to all dance in the big hall and sing again and again “Skinna Ma Rinky Dinky Dink, Skinna Ma Rinky Do, I love you.”  The Bunny    

Hop was fun for all. Treats were provided and we left with hugs, smiles, laughter and tears.

We finished the evening with a re-entery dinner of pizza from PizzaHut. We feel we've been a good working team and have achieved our goals.

We welcome the new team and wish them well. We know they will appreciate the wonderful hospitality and care provided by Stephen, Sheeba, Roshan, as well as the wonderful food Rani prepares for them, the many erands and chores Barnabus renders, and the miraculous driving of Stephen.

Farewell until we meet again.

Shirley







Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quote for the day:  “All good things come to an end”

It is hard to believe that our tour of service in India is almost over, with only one day of “duties” remaining, as we left for our respective jobs this morning – Cindy and Anita to teach at Grace and KK to continue one-on-one English tutoring with Leah.  Shirley went with Dee to Assam Illam to meet Sister Stella of the order of FSJ Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph so she could tell her nun friends back in L.A. about their work here.  She could not stay long as she had to go to Grace.  The little ones were disappointed not to have another Auntie to play with.

The name of the game which amused the other volunteers and delights the children is called the “Grab and Fox game”.  The leader pours imaginary rice, curry and ghee into her cupped hand and then grinds them together using her elbow as a pestle.  The imaginary mixture is then formed into little balls – are popped into the onlooker’s mouths and are chewed with great gusto and smacking of lips.  After the hand is cleaned it moves very slowly up one child’s arm until it becomes faster and ends up tickling the tummy. Stephen and Sheeba visited while the game was being played and Stephen was able to videotape the whole thing.

In honor the the visit, Sister Rose, the head of Assam Illam made a rare appearance.  She has made a good recovery from a stroke but still needs to rest.  She expressed her gratitude for the toothbrushes and toothpaste donated by Cindy.  Sister Rose the fed the children their lunch but had the children neatly lined up rather than in a constantly moving group.

While kids napped Sister Stella taught me other Indian games  called “Chapati/Dillaybee” and “Knock the Door” to be played again tomorrow.  She also decided to teach me a few words of Tamil to go with my one word “Nandri”.  I can now say “Vanakkam - greetings (similar to Namaste) and Tata (goodbye). 

After a midday rest for all except Shirley, we went to Seam and then on to a delicious meal at the same restaurant where we shared our first dinner together as a team.  Where did the time go?

Diane (Dee)







Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The purpose of life is the life of purpose. - Anonymous

You finish breakfast? What you have for breakfast? This seems to be the first question asked after greeting someone in the morning. When I arrived at SEAMS this morning I was asked this question by three people. Even Pastor wanted to know what I ate for breakfast. Maybe this is small talk for the local people. Similar to when we talk about the weather. There are so many customs and habits different from ours here in India. On the other hand, what seemed shocking and strange to us the first few days, is now, after almost two weeks, the norm. How easily we humans adapt.

Not much construction going on at SEAMS today. The painters were painting the outside of the library today. They were high up on homemade ladders held together with twine. I instantly decided I had a horrible fear of heights. I spent my day picking up around the grounds and helping Laya prep vegetables for the meal she would be making for lunch. She then gave me a private cooking class as she prepared the lunch. All the while I was helping her with her English which seemed to improve before my eyes. Indian cooking class for English lessons, a fair and fun trade.

The library is coming along at a good pace.Tomorrow tile will be laid on the floor and the painting will continue. I wish the previous volunteers who have worked and sweated over the library project could see how far it has come. I won't see the finished product, but close to it.

After SEAMS this evening the team went to the local movie theatre to watch a Kollywood movie, "Monitor Lizard" It was hysterical. Very melodramatic with the actors breaking into song and dance for no apparent reason. Stephen and Sheba said it wasn't a very good movie, but we all found it very entertaining.

Off to bed with visions of Monitor Lizards in our heads!

KK







Tuesday, February 21, 2012.

Quote: Today was a good day...past Global volunteer

Time is now flying by...

It was nice to get away for the weekend and experience another part of India. KK and I went to Mahabalipuram on the coast of the Bay of Bengal and Anita and Dee went to Pondicherry, a bit further south. Shirley stayed at the Guest House for some R & R. The car ride was 1 1/2 hours and Steven arranged for a nice big car and safe driver. The hotel was on the water and just steps from shopping, food and a relaxing massage. The town was quaint and full of venders selling their wares and just a walk away from one of the amazing UNESCO sights of ancient temples. Unfortunately, the town is without power ten hours a day which makes it very difficult for businesses to survive. At dinner, the lights went out and before we knew it, our waiter had his mining light attached to his head. I would definitely recommend the short trip.

At Grace school, the kids and I are very well acquainted. I plan a short lesson the night before and can usually measure the success by the smiles, repetition and begging for more. Typically, we sing a few songs and a new favorite is Skid a marink. They laugh and scream when I sing the part, "I love you". Now all of them know the song and it's part of our daily routine at Grace and Seams.

Beginning week two, we were assigned new children at SEAMS and they were a few years younger. There was quite a difference in their academic skills yet they were able to keep up on the games including ipad games.

KK bought some Iphone speakers so we could play music and teach some songs to the children at SEAMS. Most love to dance and some are familiar with several American songs. KK downloaded show tunes, pop songs and kids educational songs. We all sang along as we were playing endless games of snap and Bingo.

The highlight of the night was a wonderful meal at Stevens parents house. They graciously welcomed us into their home and served a delicious variety of traditional Indian food. A few of the family members live on the same street and his brother Steven, our driver, lives next door. The house was bustling with kids laughter and people coming and going. This is also Steven and Sheba's house. Following Indian custom, Steven and Sheba will live there and take care of the parents as he is the oldest son. You could see and feel the love flowing from the house.

Long day and ready for bed...

Cindy






Monday, January 20, 2012

Quote of the day: ‘Always end  the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.”  Bill Cosby

A foggy morning, an unusual condition according to Sheeba, as she and Stephen came back from taking Roshan to school earlier this morning. By the time we got into Stephen’s car for the ride to Grace School, there was just a slight haze  and when 10:15 came with the morning break, I could see no more from the classroom’s window.

Upon arrival at school, Cindy and I were asked to go to the principal’s office instead of heading directly to our rooms. Principal Esther came in, another chair, presumably for her was brought in—she was looking through a notebook and I wondered if we had done anything amiss from last week. But it seems there had been a miscommunication and the delay had to do with either one or both our classrooms was not yet ready, and Esther had no idea why we were sitting in her father’s office! I collected chalk and the duster (eraser) and walked next door where I was greeted by the 5th graders looking rather snazzy in Monday’s regulation all white uniforms with navy and white ties.

All three classes talked about memory and what they thought it meant. When I wrote ‘remembering things’ on the board it instantly resonated. I explained the memory game we would be playing in order for them to discover their capabilities. The only variable was the number of objects I put out for each group. I started with ten items for the 5ths, six for the 4ths and five items foe the 3rd graders. Items were: a pen, pencil, crayon,lipstick, clock (my travel alarm), scissors (travel kind), torch, pencil sharpener, paper clip and eraser. Supposedly without talking they came up and just looked at each of the things dispkayed for about two minutes then returned to their seats and wrote down each of the things they saw. Spellings weren’t a problem—draw the item if they felt more confident in recalling. Afterwards we went over the list of objects they saw, did communal spelling for each as well as discussing the scissors that got a delighted  seal of approval as they saw how it can be folded in half! The boys seemed more interested in the tube of lipstick while one girl, in particular smiled encouragingly as I applied a quick ‘schmeer’!

Before the memory game exercise we did in each class, I was most careful explaining what we were doing, tried my best to make certain I was understood—so it is still mystifying why only two students, fifth grade girls hardly participated while everyone else in all classes evidently understood—did they just not want to take part? They were inspecting those ten items but went back to their seats and neither listed nor drew pictures,,although they did do some drawing having nothing to do with todays class assignment. I did not admonish either girl but  was clearly puzzled as they could easily see. One of the girls had come to class without her dazzling smile all during the class so something else had to be on her mind. I did ask her as the class was leaving if she felt alright—that she clearly understood as I received a small smile from her.Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

A surprise: Simon Says is a roaring success with all three grades being slightly more competitive amongst the fourth graders—who knew? The third graders were adorable watching as I speeded up!

The thirds were rather exasperated with my  poor attempt in making the ‘correct’ spider hand movement for ‘Eensy-Weensy Spider’ as we sang the song. They in turn  had their ‘teachable moment’ with me—literally taking my hands and willing my fingers to copy theirs-more homework for me again before I dare come to class wanting to sing that song again. However they seemingly liked my moves with the line in the song ‘…..and dried up all the water” so I, too, had a teachable moment.

Rani, our Porur Julia Child demonstrated how she prepared a sought-after Volunteer favorite, cabbage porial. We had been asked at dinner last night for those dishes that had been most appreciated—the answers were fast in being announced! Certainly a huge vote of confidence of contented palates. Nobody, including this  welter-weight with the troubled palate (when it comes to the spices used here) has gone hungry. Between the various hot dishes served morning, noon and night plus the wonderful fruits always on the table: no stomach growling has been heard.

A new week with our kids at SEAMS. Before starting, Sheeba asked if I enjoyed coconut water—do I ever! Coconuts were being sold outside the gates..minutes later, a delicious drink was handed to me.One sip through its straw brought back so many memories to other exotic locales around the world where I had also taken sips.

I met with two new students this week. Ugendhran is a charming boy of ten and I am thinking on the shy side, but perhaps by day two or three I will be proven wrong. I tried engaging him in talk about school and whether he enjoys books and/or reading. Speaking very slowly he didn’t quite understand the question until I showed him ‘Sammy the Seal’ paer ot the ‘I Can Read’  series. He brightened considerably and when I asked him if he could read the words of the title or of the series, it was evident he could not and instead said that yes, he’d like to hear the story. I suggested he call out any words on the page as we slowly read on-he did not.

Time flew by because all at once Stephen sent in Praveen, a fifteen year old lad with a simply dynamite smile. He is coming towards the end of the ninth grade—facing Public Exams by the end of his year which ends in April. With May the month of school being out, he returns in June in the tenth grade if he passes all the exams: Tamil I and II, English, Social Studies, Chemistry, Math, Science and others I believe I forgot to write down. He is interested in studying Computer in a college and eventually first work here in India before travelling to America.Where in America? Doesn’t know, just America?

Time quickly passed once again when it was time to come back for dinner. The cabbage dish was very tasty and my gratitude to Sheeba when she purposely left out possibly the most important spice keeping me in mind. I am positive the others around the table missed the added zip they all have come to enjoy immensely. The dill with red onion will be a must I go home with. I adore yogurt and love it with dill and cucumbers..never thought of the onion—scallions, why of course—red onions even better!

I have the distinct feeling this week will zoom by with so many things on our cumulative list of must do activities.

So as I write my last journal let me thank Stephen and Sheeba both for their warm welcome into their home as well as into their lives. For me, without a doubt their hospitality, has been the most outstanding memory I carry home with me. This second Indian project was an experience I will never forget—with Stephen and Sheeba being the icing on the cake. Many, many than you’s for your considerations.

Anita

No comments: