Tuesday, January 24, 2012


Friday, January 20, 2012

“We have so far to go to realize our human potential for compassion, altruism, and love.” - Jane Goodall

Well it’s the final day for team 106.  It started like any other with an enjoyable breakfast and a team meeting. We then split up with Diana, Meagan, and Candy going to Assisi and Grace School. Dustin and I headed to SEAMs once again for construction work. In the absence of the workers, we set to sifting large amounts of sand that will be used for the interior and exterior walls of the new library.  Over the last two weeks we have come to appreciate and dread India’s medieval construction methods.  After several hours labor, we rejoined the team for lunch.  Then it was back to SEAM in the afternoon.  This was my third time witnessing the children’s farewell presentation for the departing team members.  It was just as high-spirited and adorable as the others.  I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of little Ezekiel’s dance.  He’s quite the performer. 

Back at the guest house, we enjoyed yet another excellent meal courtesy of Rani.  Then it was time to say our goodbyes to Diana.  Working with her was a real pleasure.  I know the children loved having someone around to patch up all their boo-boos.  Next it was Candy’s turn to depart.  Dustin and I are already missing her good humor and infectious laugh.  The coming week it’s just me and Dustin until a new team of 12 arrives. I have complete sympathy for Stephen and the logistical nightmare he’s about to face with that many volunteers to tend. But I’m sure it will be prove to be another excellent group, just like 106.

Chris

No comments: