Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Millinium Development Goals


Achieved by this team from January 18 - January 22


65 Hours of class room instruction in conversational English and computer skills by 4 volunteers and 65Hours of preparation time.

10 Hours of childcare by 1 volunteer

15 Hours of construction at Seams to build the Dormitories

1 School, 2 children's Home and over 115 students
 
 
 

Monday January 18, 2010

Quote: Whenever I see your smiling face, I have to smile myself. James Taylor

After we had a busy and exciting weekend trip to Pondicherry, Kanchipuram and Mamallapuram, we started a new week with the kids. Kathy headed off to Grace School. She took over Lucy's fifth grade class, and she had the students for more than an hour. She said it was a little hectic, but went okay. Sheeba and I went to Assisi Illam. The kids greeted us with their bright smiles. I can't help but smile myself when I see all the children smiling and reaching out to say “hello.”

The kids had their snacks, and then Sister Matilda and Jessie sent the kids upstairs in groups of 5 to 7 children. We sang our songs and then the kids looked at the nursery rhyme books. The kids watched the Tortoise and the Hare, and Sheeba and I headed back to the guest house.

We had guests for lunch – a professor and his wife who work at a college in Oregon. The professor is looking into volunteer activities for his students.

After lunch, Kathy, Lucy and I prepared for our lessons this week. We are trying to be as creative as possible and think of new ways to teach the children. Lucy is telling the older students at SEAMS the story of the Wizard of Oz; Sheeba was helping her with the translations.
This evening we went to SEAMS. I started “The Hungry Caterpillar” book with the girls. They liked the story. Lucy was working on the question words -Who, What, When, Why, Where and How- with the older students.

Unfortunately, Tom is still under the weather. We hope he feels better soon.


Heather




 Tuesday January 19, 2010

Quote: It is winter now. Only 31 degrees celsius!!

by Stephen


Having had a sick day yesterday, because of too much sun and allowing myself to get dehydrated, I was back in the classroom this morning.

It was a very good morning with my 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes. We started with song, and this time I was ready to stop thd kids after only two songs. We switched to talking about nouns and verbs, and they really know the difference and were able to give me lots of examples. We looked at a map and were able to name many countries; they had been to the zoo and had many animals in English, and, in fact, have quite a bit of English vocabulary, though they have trouble makiing sentences. After some urging, they were each able to tell me three things about themselves, mostly the things they like.

We also did some arithmetic problems, and they know their addition and multiplication facts quite well. The fifth grade also knows the relationship of division to multiplication.

In both English and arithmetic they are far ahead of the children at Seams, who go to public school and are taught entirely by rote. I was impressed and surprised.

They did have the same problems with English pronunciation that manyTamil speakers have. The problems with the long A, with the H at the beginning of words, with the inability to hear a difference between ship and sheep, with V and Wand so on. I have been recruited to help the teachers with some of those problems next week and am looking forward to working with adults. I hope my English holds up!

In general, the children were eager and cooperative and a joy to work with. It was fun to teach them to say See you later, alligator with the excuse that I was working on the long A. when we left, one of the girls tested me to see if I remembered how to say See you tomorrow in Tamil.

After lunch and a rest and preparation period, we went over to Seams to meet with the children there. My two girls were charming as usual. We talked about opposites in English and had some desultory conversation. They have not thought much about their future, and perhaps do not realize how much they have to depend on their own resources. Thus neither is a serious student, and Stephen said he also worries about that and is talking to them about it. We finished up with another installment about the adventures of Dorothy and Toto.

After a while the boys charged in and we practiced the three multiplication facts I had assigned, hoping they can at least master the 6, 7, 8, and 9 tables before the end of next week. Then it became clear that one of them had a fever and another a bothersome insect bite, so I asked Stephen to see what he could do. The others continued the session, but they are very playful and hyper and I doubt they absorbed much academic material.

When I think about how far these children have come it is hard to complain about their academic progress, but I get sad when I compare them to children of the same age at the Grace School. I wish them the best in future and hope they take advantage of the opportunities they have at Seams.on an upbeat note, it is clear that the love and care they receive there is extraordinary and that they seem very happy and well adjusted.


Lucy



Thursday, January 21, 2010

A teaching can be profitable only if it is perfectly sincere, that is, if it is lived while it is being given, ..” The Mother (from Auroville)

I don't think we could have fit anything more into today! We started very early with a trip to the market before breakfast. What a busy and colorful place. I couldn't believe all the thousands, maybe millions, of flower blossoms for sale. Many were already made into garlands or other decorations and some were just sold in bulk. Stephen told us tonight that there were many weddings today so many of the flower decorations were likely purchased for them. The merchants kept giving

flowers to Heather to put in her hair so she had a lovely headful by the time we left that section. Also, there were many different greens for sale, some were leaves and others looked like grasses. Everyone was very friendly. Many people – men and women, young and old, asked to have their photo taken. There was a very short period during which the five of us got separated but we found each other before anyone panicked or got upset. After the flower section, we walked through

some of the fruit area and then briefly into the vegetable area. I took a couple pictures of potatoes with their vendors to show the potato project at home.

Rani had a fresh breakfast ready when we returned to the guest house. Then Tom went off to SEAMS to work on the staircase, and, there was a last minute change in the schedule, so Lucy and Kathy went with Heather to Assisi again rather than Grace School. I like that because there, Heather is in charge and does such a great job with those little ones. They do like the songs, and when we do London Bridge, no-one wants to walk under the bridge but rather, as many kids as can

scrunch into the middle and just stand there giggling until the bridge falls down and they are enveloped in the big “hug.” All three of us were pretty tired after three groups of lively children. Managed by Sister Rexline, it seems be a well run program. Sister Rexline also manages the hospital and on the way back to the guest house, we stopped there so Lucy and Heather could meet her and so I could thank her for Tom's care the other night. She invited us into her hospital office and served us drinks and treats. After a few minutes she excused herself because she had to attend a meeting so we finished our

refreshments in the peaceful, fan-cooled setting and then left for the guest house.

After lunch, I went to the roof where I sat in the shade and read and stitched. There was a nice breeze and it was lovely. Then I walked around and did some errands. Tom went back to work at Seams and Lucy and Heather snuck in short rests. The three of us and Stephen went to SEAMS at 5:00. I had the 7th graders for the whole time and we were very busy working on opposites, a memory game, and number bingo. It's interesting to see how different kids excel in different kinds of activities. I am going to miss those boys especially.

We came home and changed into nicer clothes then set out into crazy rush-hour traffic ,with additional sound effects by Tom. We arrived to a lovely restaurant at a hotel in Chennai, where it seems a wedding was in progress. We had a very delicious meal and as always, interesting conversation. Stephen is like an encyclopedia and we have learned so much from him. After another crazy ride back to the guest house, we thanked our driver, the other Stephen, for bringing us safely home and all went in and retired.


Kathy



Friday, January 22, 2010.


Today was Kathy, Tom and my last day. I am not very good at goodbyes, so I knew the day was going to be a little tough. Tom headed to SEAMS to finish the stairs, which look great. Kathy, Lucy and I went to Assisi Illam. The kids greeted us with “Thank you, Aunties” in unison. The tears welled up, but I managed to hold it together, We had three energetic groups with songs, flashcards, books, balls and balloons. Sister Rose, a beautiful, strong woman, made sure we had some tea and soup. I will miss Jessie, the teacher, and Shobina, Reena and Sister Virgin, who also work with the children. They were so welcoming.

After Assisi, we treated Stephen, Sheeba, Stephen, Barnabas and Rani to lunch. They have worked so hard and have gone over and beyond to take care of us during our stay.

We went to SEAMS in the evening. We all spent time with the children before they sang songs for us and came up individually to thank us for coming. These children are beautiful, and I am going to miss them. I will miss their bright smiles, and I will miss being greeted with “Auntie” and “Sister.”

Raje, Anand, Murugah, Vinitha, Nancy, Joys, Sneeta and all the children at SEAMS and Assisi now have a special place in my heart.

I wish Kathy and Tom safe travels, and I hope our paths cross again. I hope Lucy has a nice third week. And finally, to Stephen and Sheeba, many thanks and my door is always open for you in Washington, DC.


Quote: We cannot do great things. But we can do small things with great love. Mother Teresa

Heather

No comments: